Hawthorn Community Chest (HCC) was established exclusively to help those within Boroondara, and surprisingly there is an increasing number of people living locally who are facing real need. Many of these have experienced family breakdown, unemployment, poverty, sickness or mental health issues. In all cases their needs are above and beyond the financial assistance they receive through government agencies. We mostly receive requests for help through local care providers such as Camcare, Uniting Care or Boroondara Community Outreach Services.
With your help we have been able to provide items such as:
- MYKI cards for a women’s shelter.
- Twelve months of medicines for an existing grant recipient who has severe cerebral palsy.
- A subsidised ‘English for Work and Study’ course for a young mother trying to access work opportunities for her family.
- Hose and filters for a sleep apnoea CPAP machine for a young father who suffers from chronic sleep apnoea.
- Essential nutritional supplements for a young man who is significantly underweight due to a Mitochondrial disorder.
- Funds towards a fridge/freezer for a single mother with two young children who receives no family support.
Donations from local businesses and residents have made it possible for Hawthorn Community Chest to provide grants for these, and many other, neighbours in need.
We also thank the support of many corporate and local companies who donate their time, money and resources to assist Hawthorn Community Chest. Hawthorn Community Chest’s Business Supporter Program (BSP) is the main way businesses can assist our work. We take this opportunity to acknowledge and thank the businesses that have joined our BSP:
Hawthorn Community Chest Business Supporter Program
Doherty Design Studio
HFH Auto Group
Kay & Burton Hawthorn
Nelson Alexander Kew
Pezzimenti Nixon Optometrists
Membership of Hawthorn Community Chest’s Business Supporter Program is just $20 per week ($1,000 per year). To find out more, please read our Business Supporter Flyer or phone 0499 400 043 or email firstname.lastname@example.org